Wednesday 4 November 2015

Incorporating Peer-Assessment in the Classroom


      Beginning when I was in grade 3, it became a part of the language curriculum to present a speech in front of my classmates. This speech was to be between 5 and 7 minutes in length and could revolve around any chosen topic of interest. For example, I recall presenting a speech on chocolate, my grandmother, and the experiences of having older brothers. When I was in grade 6, our teacher Mr. H asked that listening students complete peer-assessments during speech presentations. The peer-assessments would first be reviewed by the teacher and then would be awarded to presenters as feedback following their speech. When I reflect on this experience, I can recognize the significant effort put forth by Mr. H to ensure that our peer-assessments were academic and beneficial. I will highlight some of the strategies that he implemented as I feel that they are necessary in creating a successful peer-assessment exercise.

        Mr. H first explained how to give thoughtful and respectful feedback by sharing examples of potential responses for both strong and weaker presentations. I feel that this explanation was valuable as my classmates and I had little prior experience articulating feedback. Mr. H then provided us with a handout that used the ‘two stars and a wish’ format to encourage students to say two pieces of positive feedback (stars) and one constructive point that could potentially improve the presenter's public speaking skills (wish). In addition to the stars and wish sheet, Mr. H also provided a list of words and phrases that could be directly copied or used as prompts for feedback points. This additional resource encouraged students to be “assessment literate” and to use appropriate assessment language (Drake, Reid and Kolohon, 2013, p.89). In this example, I thought peer-assessment was very well executed as students were equip with the resources and knowledge to complete the feedback appropriately. As demonstrated by Mr H, I believe that taking the time to teach assessment is essential in order for peer-assessment to be productive.



Downing, Emer (2011, September 3). Classroom resources. Web. 1 Nov 2015. Retrieved from http://acrucialweek.blogspot.ca/2011/09/reminder-assessment-linky-party.html

        As mentioned by Drake, Reid and Kolohon (2013), our feedback did not contribute to the grade that the presenter received, it was simply to allow for students to gain an understanding of the desired objectives, appreciate different degrees of quality, and consider how we could improve upon our personal presentation strategies. These points are supported by Harris, Brown and Harnett (2015) as  they shared that students often use their own feedback to self-regulate their learning processes and improve their understanding of academic frameworks. In addition to these benefits, I also recall feeling very excited to be assessing presentations as I felt that I had a responsibility to help my peers. Moreover, I felt a sense of autonomy as my thoughts were being considered and valued by my classmates.

        According to Kablan (2014) students who actively participate in the classroom are more engaged and involved in their learning. This supports the use of peer-assessment as this activity encourages the entire class to be involved and engaged. In addition, I believe that peer assessment encourages critical thinking skills. Linking this back to my grade 6 experience, students did not simply say whether they enjoyed or disliked the speech, but actively listened to their peers and provided thoughtful and constructive feedback. Furthermore, because students are being asked to provide both positive and constructive feedback, I feel that peer-assessments should be anonymous as this would encourage students to write freely and honestly. As mentioned by Harris, Brown and Harnett (2015), when students are aware that their teacher/ peers will be reading their comments, they may write what they believe their teacher/ peers are hoping to read rather than their true reflections. Furthermore, Harris, Brown and Harnett (2015) acknowledge that peer relationships and friendships may impact the quality and accuracy of  peer-assessments. In response, keeping assessments anonymous would prevent these issues and promote sincere feedback.


Alex (2014, December, 2). Teaching essentials: Assessment and target setting blog. Web. 2 Nov 2015. Retrieved from ttps://teachingessentials.wordpress.com/category/peer-assessment/
        Drake, Reid and Kolohon (2013) refer to student friendly language and the idea of students transforming ministry rubrics into words that are spoken and easily understood by students. I believe that sometimes peers understand concepts best when they are expressed by a fellow student. For example, rather than suggesting that a student speak with more 'expression', a peer might suggest that a presenter speak with a more 'fun' or 'happy' voice. Although the same feedback is being made, using student voices and vocabulary may be valued and appreciated by some students.

        I came across this video clip and I think it represents an incredible example of how peers can also assess and help one another in a mathematical context. Furthermore, this clip demonstrates Hwang, Hung and Chen's (2014) theory that social relationships within the classroom can be enhanced when students engage and learn from one another.

 
Peer to peer assessment (2013, July 8). Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG5iK7TMRuU



        As I was researching articles about peer-assessment, I came across this website that clearly articulates some of the strengths and potential disadvantages of using peer-assessment. If you are interested in furthering your thoughts on peer-assessment, I recommend you click on the link below:

http://www.theatrefolk.com/blog/peer-evaluation/


References

Alex (2014, December, 2). Teaching essentials: Assessment and target setting blog. Web. 2 Nov  2015. Retrieved from ttps://teachingessentials.wordpress.com/category/peer-assessment

Downing, Emer (2011, September 3). Classroom resources. Web. 1 Nov 2015. Retrieved from http://acrucialweek.blogspot.ca/2011/09/reminder-assessment-linky-party.html

Drake, S. M., Reid, J. L., & Kolohon, W. (2014). Interweaving Curriculum and 
Classroom Assessment: Engaging the 21st Century Learner. Don Mills, ON: Oxford University Press.

Harris, L. R., Brown, G. L., & Harnett, J. A. (2015). Analysis of New Zealand Primary and Secondary Student Peer- and Self-Assessment Comments: Applying Hattie and Timperley's Feedback Model. Assessment in Education: Principles, Policy & Practice, 22(2), 265-281

Hwang, G., Hung, C., & Chen, N. (2014). Improving learning achievements, motivations and problem-solving skills through a peer assessment-based game development approach. Educational Technology Research and Development, (2), 129-145.

Kablan, Z. (2014). Comparison of individual answer and group answer with and without structured peer assessment. Research In Science & Technological Education, 32(3), 251-262. doi:10.1080/02635143.2014.931840. 

Peer to peer assessment (2013, July 8). Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG 5iK7TMRuU

Price, Lindsay (March, 2015). The Theatrefolk Blog: Peer evaluation. Retrieved from http://www.theatrefolk.com/blog/peer-evaluation/


4 comments:

  1. Hi Jenn,

    You blog this week was extremely engaging, critical and thoughtful. You not only discussed the ways in which peer assessment can be used within the classroom but also discussed the benefits of peer assessment. Furthermore, you addressed the lack of discussion you had around the disadvantages of peer assessment by providing an article that discussed it. This was a great way to acknowledge that your not biases, and that you do understand there are pit falls for self-assessment. Good thinking!! In addition, you used a lot of resourced like always, which really contributed to the flow and validity of your arguments, and general discussions. I found myself more willing take the various things you discussed in your blog into consideration because they were validated by peer reviewed articles. Your video you included was extremely visual, in the sense that myself as a visual learner could physically see how peer assessment can be included instead of just talking theoretically. Lastly, I loved how you included possible templates that teachers can implement into daily lessons. Overall great job, it definitely shows that your blogging abilities have further developed as you write more blogs!!
    With that being said, I think it is extremely beneficial for the students to assess their fellow peers abilities, like you said it develops not only that child’s confidence in their own work by receiving positive feedback but also develop relationships within the classroom. I believe that as future educators we should be more willing to rely on peer assessment for the students to receive feedback. However your discussion leaves me questioning if there would grade that would be more successful in providing feedback. Is there a way to include peer assessment in a grade 1 class, or even in a special education classroom?
    Furthermore, I think that peer assessment can be intergraded within the classroom in diverse ways. I find that teachers in the past have used formal assessment in simple ways, for example using peer assessment when a child does a presentation. Instead I feel although peer assessment can be intergraded daily for example, getting each child to do a peer assessment at the end of the day on another peers behaviour, focus, and participation. Peer assessment could be used as a alternative to the original way of “tattle telling”. Instead of a student disrupting the class to tattle tail on another student, instead completing a peer assessment on that peer would be great way to limit disruptions in the classroom.
    Just want to take this time to thank you for creating such engaging blogs over the course of the semester, you have brought your personal experience and perspective to them which has really allowed me to develop a new perspective on teaching and learning!! So thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great blog, Jen! You’ve seamlessly integrated your own experience of peer-to-peer assessment with our course readings and other sources. I appreciate your colourful graphics and applicable links. They enhance both the aesthetics and depth of your blog.

    Thanks for sharing your story about Mr. H, who, based on your tale, was an excellent teacher and role model. He did a superb job of thoroughly informing your class how to write helpful peer-to-peer assessments. Sadly, my teachers were not so gifted. I was instructed to “provide comments” on blank scraps of paper with no advice on how to properly format or articulate them. As a consequence, my feedback reflected one of the weaknesses Harris, Brown and Harnett (2015) describe in their article: I over-rated my friends’ work. In fact, there was an unspoken rule among my classmates to lavish praise on one’s pals during peer assessments in order to gain them a better mark. It was not until later in high school that I realized the folly of this approach. We missed out on years of giving each other helpful feedback by disingenuously extolling each other’s projects and speeches.

    In fact, I found myself lauding all my peers’ work because I did not want to “be mean”. Unlike Mr. H., my teachers did not explain the true purpose of assessments. That’s why a tool like the “Two Stars and a Wish” is so useful. Its overall tone is optimistic since it starts with two pieces of positive feedback and ends with one constructive one. Even the word “wish” is cheerful.

    I find myself wonder how beneficial you found your classmates comments. You mention feeling excited to assess your peers because you felt a responsibility to help them. But were their comments helpful to you? Did your future speeches and projects improve based on your classmates’ feedback?

    Thanks again for sharing this story. Based on my experience, I had an overall negative impression of peer-to-peer assessments and might have hesitated to use them in my own classes one day. But having heard of Mr. H’s introduction to the concept and your obviously excited acceptance of it in Grade 6, I realize the value of this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jen,
    Great job on your blog this week! You gave something that may seem pretty boring and bland (peer assessment) an interesting spin, by incorporating your own experiences as well as literature. I really enjoyed your story of your speech writing in grade school. I personally don’t remember writing and presenting speeches that early on, but I kind of wish I had the opportunity to at that age. I have always been a shy person, and having the opportunity to talk to the class about something I am passionate about would have definitely helped me come out of my shell. I firmly agree with all your points about peer assessments helping students become “assessment literate” and helped them thin critically and activity engage in their peers presentation. It is such a good strategy on the teachers part to give their students a chance to have a voice and to help their peers through constructive feedback and comments. I also think it was really useful for your teacher to provide you guys with a temple (two stars and a wish) and positive phrases and words that students could use to form their feedback. I myself use “Two stars and a Wish” at my work as a camp counsellor for evaluating our leaders-in-training and volunteers. Also the issue of anonymity is also a great idea for those students who don't want to hurt their friends in the class.
    To conclude, I feel that your blog post really spoke to the importance of using peer assessment in the classroom. It is a really important tool that can help teachers gain different perspectives from one presentation, and also making students more actively engaged in the classroom. I leave you with one final question: how could you as a teacher deal with students who seem to have a lack of maturity in the classroom when trying to complete these peer assessments?

    ReplyDelete